Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review: Pedro Almodóvar - I’m So Excited

I’m a big fan of Pedro Almodóvar films. Since being blown away by Volver at the flicks a few years ago I’ve gone through this director’s back catalogue, now own all his films on DVD box-sets, and have watched most of his films more than once.

Since Volver, I’ve seen all his new films at the flicks and last night I was one of around 4,000 fans in independent cinemas up and down the country to watch his new film, I’m So Excited, in advance of its official UK release on Friday 3 May.

It’s good, it’s camp, it’s funny and in parts it’s rude. I’d see it again, and recommend it highly.

But it doesn’t make it into my Almodóvar Top 5 because, perhaps it’s too camp and too funny, if that makes any sense? There’s the wonderful Almodóvar use of colour, of cartoonish-reality that you find in his other films and in this one there are air stewards miming along to a Pointer Sisters song.


It’s a film that could easily be transferred to the stage, the set of the aeroplane interior was theatrical rather than cinematic.
Bits of the film had me giggling in a way that no other Almodóvar film has done, but yet I didn’t have that sense of awe watching this film, like I had with some of his other films.  Don’t get me wrong, the film is great and I’m not criticising it, but for this fan I prefer some of his other work.

In the Q&A with Almodóvar which followed the film, he talked about his work with some of Spain’s best actresses. His passion and dedication shone through and I did an intake of breath when he said this: “I love these actresses. I don’t just dedicate my time to them. I dedicate my life.”

Wonderful stuff. 

You can also check out Sunny Jim’s appreciation of Almodóvar films here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...