Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Books I read on my holidays 2016

Back from an amazingly relaxing holiday in northern Mallorca and these are the books I read while I was away.

I love reading biographies and autobiographies, especially those of people I grew up listening to or watching on telly.  And so it begins that the books I read on this holiday included two music biographies.  The first of these was Chrissie Hynde's Reckless. The book is wonderful, it rips along at some speed and she can write very well.  I came away though, with the feeling that she wasn't telling the reader all of the truth. I suspect there's a book's worth of other stuff she could tell if she wanted to. But that's the beauty of writing one of these books when you're famous, I guess. You tell it like it is, or as you want it to be. I really enjoyed it and score it 9/10.

Ah. My favourite author.  A fantastic read. Nothing less than a solid 10/10.

Another music biography - Nile Rodgers' Le Freak - and unlike Chrissie Hynde's book above, I felt like he was being completely honest.  Couldn't help but read this with a smile and respect for such a decent and hugely talented bloke. Another 10/10.

I'm an Ali Shaw fan. His two previous novels were magical and left a lasting impression on me. In fact, when I finished reading his first book The Girl with Glass Feet I burst into tears. The Trees was  solid and strong but it didn't give me the tingle of magic that his other books did. A mark of "good but looking forward to his next book" 7/10.

This is the second book in Danny Baker's autobiography. I read his first book on holiday some years ago and remember tears of laughter streaming down my face.  This second book - Going Off Alarming - doesn't disappoint. I'm still only half-way through it but I was so engrossed in it, and laughing so much at it, that I hardly noticed how terrified I was of the turbulence on the plane back home. So far, so good, and it'll be 9/10.

Find out more about my books. Click on the image below:

Glenda Young books

I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...