Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Monday, September 03, 2007

The train to Spain

I'm more excited than a grown-up should be about going on holiday soon. We're travelling between European countries on an overnight train and do you know what? I can't wait. I've got a vision in my head that it'll be all very Brief Encounter, black and white and romantic. I'll let you know when we come back if it turns out to be a) just like the deluded vision in my head or b) nothing like that at all.

I like trains, me and the funniest book on the subject I've ever read is Ian Marchant's Parallel Lines (aka Every Girls' Big Book of Trains).

4 comments:

Steve said...

Black and white, Brief Encounter style is much to be preferred to cheesy technicolour On The Buses mode... hope it's the former and not the latter. The Corrie thing is making me thing you're going to Tenerifee like Bet Lynch. Hmm. I've just dated myself there somewhat haven't I?

Lucy Dee said...

I've done the overnight-train thing. It's not bad, if you get a sleeper car. I didn't plan ahead and I bought a regular ticket, for a basic seat, from München (Munich) to Paris. And then thought, "I want to sleep." So I asked the ticket collector (do they have an official name?) in polite French if my friend and I could have a sleeper car. He was gob smacked that I even knew French (thinking I'd be a snobby uncultured American).

And I used a very, very, formal and polite, rarely used conjugation of "please may I." Pretty much the equivalent of getting down on my knees and servicing him---or "charming him" to be less crass.

The lesson here: Learn the language. And memorize to the hilt the polite terms--rather than racing to learn the bad words, which kids so often do today (not implying that you're a precocious young child.)

Anyway, have fun! Report back all the details.

Glenda Young said...

Oh yes, we have a sleeper car. A first class tear-your-wallet-open it's costing a load of cash sleeper car. It's the first time I've slept on a train and something I've always, always wanted to do. Did I mention I was excited?

The Poet Laura-eate said...

As a fellow old-movie fan, I hope it lives up to all your expectations!

Lovely blog by the way.

A Chap-ess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...