Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Friday, April 25, 2008

Leek pudding

I grew up with men like these popping into the house to see my dad for the special stuff he dispensed to help them grow leeks. Not spindly little leeks you see in the supermarket, the ones that sit there on the shelves giving leeks a bad press. No, these were proper leeks, big leeks, nothing less than show leeks and yet still full of flavour.

I had a pang of nostalgia the other day for a leek pudding and searched online for a recipe as there was nothing in any of our books by Sir Nigel of Slater that showed that he knew what to do. The online recipes I found all recommended boiling the pudding for 2-3 hours. Boiling for 2-3 hours? That's not a pudding, that's a hot wash for the sheets.

Anyway, I've now found this intriguing recipe which at least comes from the north-east so I'm trusting that the guy knows what he's talking about. I'll report back in due course.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Have to say I am a huge leek fan - my favourite is an omelette with leeks, sausages, chillis, garlic, diced potato and cheese... absolutely fab. The leek is the king of vegetables. Never tried leek pudding but I'll be intrigued to hear your verdict.

KAZ said...

I love Leeks. Glenys Kinnock taught me how to cook them. She was on Breakfast TV with Neil.

My god - I'd forgotten those two.

The Mistress said...

Have just added this to my file of giant fruit and veg.

Don't ask.

Hello Kaz.

Tvor said...

but... suet.. isn't that like a layer of lard or fat over it?

Glenda Young said...

Well, I suppose you're right tvor! Being a vegetatarian of sorts I'd use vegetable suet but the traditional recipe is just leeks and lard! And do you know what, it's delicious :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...