Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Roxy Music at Lovebox

To the Lovebox festival on Saturday to dance around in the park and see Roxy Music for the first time. They were brilliant, very strong and tight with a 90 minute set that chose not to pander to the faint-hearted fans with a greatest hits set.

Instead, they played a lot, and I mean a lot, of their very early hits before adding in My Only Love and Jealous Guy. Everything else came from the early 70s and sounded wonderfully fresh. The singalong at the end and encore included some hits - Love is the Drug, Virginia Plain, Let's Stick Together, Do the Strand, but it was the whole of their set that I adored, even if I didn't know all of the songs. Bryan Ferry still looks incredible and sounds wonderful too.

Other highlights from the day were Trojan Sound System who got one too-small area of the festival reggae rocking. I still maintain that dancing to reggae in the sunshine should be compulsory for, you know, everyone. And when Duran Duran turned up unannounced to liven up the dull Mark Ronson set with Planet Earth, I wished I'd brought my handbag to dance around.

It's been two years since I was last at Lovebox - you can read about that here - and in that time it seems that for most young women, festivals are less about the music and more about a chance to show off new Cath Kidston wellies. But on a dry, sunny day?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...