Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Books I read on my jollies 2015

Back from a lovely holiday overseas and here's a quick run down of the books I read while I was away.
Lynn Barber, A curious career.  I've always enjoyed journalist Lynn Barber's interviews and when I saw an unused and unread version of this book for sale in a charity shop for a song I snapped it up. I read it on the plane journey to our holiday destination. Devoured every word.  10/10.

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.  This book was recommended to me by someone who described it to me in such a way that I knew it would be right up my street. I was right. I loved the story and couldn't put it down. It cracked along at a great pace.  I do hope it's made into a film. 10/10.

Please, Mister Postman by Alan Johnson. This is the 2nd instalment of Alan Johnson's autobiography, the first version I read earlier this year.  A delight. 8/10.

Despite a promising write-up on the back of the book and some decent prose inside, I gave up on this book after a few pages. It felt cliched and I wish I'd never bought it. It's gone to a charity shop already. 0/10.
I love Douglas Kennedy books - but I hate the covers. The covers of all of his books have women on the front of them that make his work look like the worst kind of chick-lit in a Mills and Boon style. His stories are immense, powerful, they race along at a great pace and you can't wait to turn the page.  Why his publisher keeps insisting on such terrible book covers, that have absolutely nothing to do with the content and the story, I'll just never understand.  Another great story from a master story-teller. 9/10.
______
I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

1 comment:

Tvor said...

I did get through China Dolls but i didn't really like it. Hated all of the characters, they were all horrible. Yeah, the writing was one long cliche. At least it was easy to skim through. Loved The Miniaturist. I think it would be a wonderful movies, too! Not read any Douglas Kennedy, must remedy that soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...