Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Discover my Cosy Crimes & Historical Sagas

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Cranking up out of the comfort zone


Last night was a night of firsts. It was the the first time that I'd heard words that I'd written read out on stage by actors. Proper actors too, mind.

It was Cranked Anvil's rehearsed reading night, one of their regular events, held upstairs in The Peacock pub, Sunderland. And that was another first for me, as I'd not been in The Peacock before. The last time I was in there was when it was still called The Londonderry and I was only 17.

But I digress.

Paul and Nessa, who run Cranked Anvil put out a call for short plays to be performed last night. I knew I had something in the deep dark recesses of my computer I could send to them. But did I dare? Well, I'm pleased I did. Paul said he liked it and wanted to put it on.

It was a short comedy sketch, just a few minutes long, about a strange lady at an even stranger interview.  It made me laugh when I wrote it, but would it make the audience laugh too? The answer was yes, and then I was called up to the stage for a quick Q&A session with the audience - well out of my comfort zone - but I'm learning that's not such a bad place to be these days.

One cast member came up to me afterwards and said my comedy sketch was their favourite of the night. And then an audience member came up to me for a chat about writing short stories. It was a great night, not just for hearing my own words spoken out loud, but for hearing other writers' plays and seeing them acted out. I'll definitely be back at a Cranked Anvil night, whether as a playwright or in the audience. It really was a very special night.

Find out more about me and my books. Click on the image below:

Glenda Young books

I'm on twitter @flaming_nora

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...